Vice president JD Vance has said that Hunter Biden is “welcome to apply” for money from a special $1.8 billion fund to help the victims of “lawfare.”
“This is about compensating Americans for the lawfare they experienced under the last administration,” Vance told reporters, speaking at a White House press briefing Tuesday. “Republicans can apply for it, Democrats can apply for it… If Hunter Biden wants to apply for this particular fund, he’s welcome to.”
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announced the $1.776 billion compensation fund Monday, which is aimed to financially help individuals who believe they have been targeted for investigation or prosecution.
The fund is being set up as part of a settlement after Trump abandoned his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS.
Blanche vowed that the “machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again.”
In his briefing Vance reiterated that “anybody” could apply for compensation, noting that Trump had previously pardoned “a number of Democrats who he felt were actually subject to this lawfare.”
“It’s going to be a normal process where we vet everything to verify if people’s claims are actually legitimate,” the vice president added.
Vance then gave several examples of those who would benefit from the fund, including Tina Peters, the former Colorado County clerk and denier of the 2020 election. Peters was convicted of tampering with election equipment and was sentenced to nine years in prison. Peters was granted clemency from Colorado governor Jared Polis Friday.
More follows …
