Football Australia is set to cut staff after a forecast second straight record financial loss, chief executive Martin Kugeler says. The governing body is planning a “significant reset and restructure” to operate within its financial limits, with details due at its May 28 annual general meeting.
Kugeler says the job cuts will not affect the Socceroos or Matildas. Local media reports suggest up to a 20% staff reduction. Football Australia employs just under 200 people, so about 40 staff could be affected under the reported proposal.
The current financial year loss is expected to exceed last year’s record deficit of 8.5 million Australian dollars, about 6 million dollars. Kugeler says, “Two significant losses, and increasing losses year-on-year, is obviously not a situation that is sustainable or acceptable.”
Key financial and tournament figures
| Item | Detail |
|---|---|
| Last year’s loss | 8.5 million Australian dollars |
| Expected current loss | Greater than 8.5 million Australian dollars |
| Staff employed | Just under 200 |
| Possible staff cut | Up to 20% (about 40 roles) |
| FIFA payment | Minimum 12.5 million dollars |
| AGM date | May 28 |
Restructure comes before A-League and World Cup
The development comes days before Saturday’s A-League Men’s grand final between Auckland FC and Sydney FC in New Zealand, the first held outside Australia. It also arrives less than a month before the Socceroos begin their World Cup campaign in North America.
Financial strain continues despite major recent events. Australia co-hosted the Women’s World Cup in 2023 and hosted the Women’s Asian Cup earlier this year. The Socceroos have qualified for a sixth straight World Cup, which starts on June 11.
The Matildas reached the 2023 World Cup semifinals on home soil. Their run drew huge TV audiences and record attendances. The team has become one of the most marketable sports brands in Australia, yet Football Australia still faces rising financial pressure.
Story first published: Wednesday, May 20, 2026, 12:04 [IST]
