Iran says negotiations ongoing but it has ‘suspicion over America’s performance’
Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran was pursuing negotiations “with seriousness and good faith, but it has strong and reasonable suspicion over America’s performance.”
Iran submitted a new offer to the US this week. Tehran’s descriptions suggest it largely repeats terms previously rejected by Mr Trump, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops.
Mr Trump on Tuesday said he had been an hour away from ordering attacks this week in response to requests from several of Iran’s Gulf neighbours.
Stuti Mishra21 May 2026 05:20
Trump says willing to wait for a few days to get ‘right answer’ on Iran peace deal
Donald Trump has said the United States was ready to proceed with further attacks on Tehran if Iran did not agree to a peace deal, but suggested Washington could wait a few days to “get the right answers.”
Speaking to reporters, Mr Trump said the situation was “right on the borderline” and could escalate quickly. Six weeks after he paused Operation Epic Fury for a ceasefire, talks to end the war have shown little progress, while soaring gasoline prices have weighed on the president’s approval ratings.
“Believe me, if we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go,” he said at Joint Base Andrews. Asked how long he would wait, Mr Trump said: “It could be a few days, but it could go very quickly.”
Iran warned against renewed attacks. “If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement.
Mr Trump reiterated his determination not to allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.
“We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens. Either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won’t happen,” he told reporters earlier in the day.
“Ideally I’d like to see few people killed, as opposed to a lot. We can do it either way.”
Stuti Mishra21 May 2026 05:00
Trump: Netanyahu will do whatever I want him to
“He’s fine, he’ll do whatever I want him to do,” the US president told reporters at an airbase in Maryland, according to American media.
The comments came after a report by Israel’s Channel 12 of a “lengthy and dramatic” phone call about Trump’s decision to call off a return to military attacks.
“He’s a very- very good man. He’ll do whatever I want him to do. And he’s a great guy,” he added.
Stuti Mishra21 May 2026 04:40
Iran war briefing for Thursday 21 May:
- Donald Trump has claimed Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu will do whatever is asked of him, insisting the pair are on the same page over negotiations to end the Iran war.
- Trump said he was “in no hurry” to make a deal to end the war. He said the United States was ready to proceed with further attacks on Tehran if Iran did not agree to a peace deal, but suggested Washington could wait a few days to “get the right answers.”
- Iran’s foreign minister Esmaeil Baghaei told news agency Nour News: “We have received US Views and are reviewing them”.
- Pakistan continued to mediate exchanges of messages between Tehran and Washington, Baghaei said, adding that several rounds of communication had taken place based on Iran’s original 14-point framework.
- Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has threatened to push the war “beyond the region” if the US or Israel resume attacks, promising “crushing blows … in places you cannot even imagine.”
Stuti Mishra21 May 2026 04:10
