Donald Trump’s administration is preparing for a fresh round of military strikes against Iran, according to a new report.
Military and intelligence officials have cancelled their Memorial Day weekend plans in case of possible strikes, sources told CBS News.
“The President always maintains all options at all times, and it is the job of the Pentagon to be ready to execute any decision the Commander-in-Chief could make,” a White House spokesperson told the outlet.
No final decision to launch the strikes had been made as of Friday afternoon, local time.
If the US were to launch fresh strikes, it would threaten the fragile ceasefire between Washington and Tehran. Peace talks seem to be getting nowhere as the war drags on for nearly three months.
Also, on Friday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Nato allies need to prepare a “Plan B” to open the Strait of Hormuz.
“What if Iran decides we refuse to open the straits, we’re going to own the straits, and we’re going to charge tolls for it?” he said at a meeting of Nato foreign ministers in Sweden. “At that point, something has to be done about it.”
UN conference to review nuclear proliferation treaty ends without deal
A four-week United Nations conference reviewing the treaty to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons ended yesterday without agreement as the US and Iran sparred over Iran’s nuclear program.
Vietnam’s UN Ambassador Do Hung Viet, who chaired the conference, announced that there was no consensus among the 191 parties to the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty on even a watered-down final document.
He told a news conference later that “no one blocked consensus”. But he said “a very important reason” for the failure to reach an outcome was a provision in the final draft that said Iran “can never seek, develop or acquire any nuclear weapons”.
It was the third failure in a row at a conference reviewing the NPT, considered the cornerstone of global nonproliferation and disarmament. At the last treaty review in August 2022, Russia blocked agreement on a final document over its February 2022 invasion of Ukraine and references to Moscow’s occupation of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, Europe’s largest.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres expressed regret at the failure when the “elevated risk posed by nuclear weapons demands urgent action”, spokesman Stephane Dujarric said. He appealed to all countries “to make full use of all available avenues of dialogue, diplomacy, and negotiation to reduce tensions, lower nuclear risks, and ultimately eliminate the nuclear threat”.
The US and Iran have clashed since the opening of the review conference on 27 April. The US has accused Iran of showing “contempt” for its commitments under the treaty, while Iran has said US and Israeli attacks on its nuclear facilities violated international law.
Iran is a party to the NPT, which requires countries to open all nuclear sites to inspection by the UN nuclear watchdog agency. But Iran has not given inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency access to nuclear sites that were bombed by the US last June.
Stuti Mishra23 May 2026 05:20
Trump preparing for fresh round of military strikes against Iran: report
Donald Trump’s administration is preparing for a fresh round of military strikes against Iran, according to a new report.
Military and intelligence officials have canceled their Memorial Day weekend plans in case of possible strikes, sources told CBS News.
“The President always maintains all options at all times, and it is the job of the Pentagon to be ready to execute any decision the Commander-in-Chief could make,” a White House spokesperson told the outlet.
No final decision to launch the strikes had been made as of Friday afternoon, local time.
Stuti Mishra23 May 2026 05:00
Trump snubs son’s wedding as he maintains focus on government business – including Iran war
US President Donald Trump does not plan to attend the wedding celebration of his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr, because he has to stay in Washington for government business, he has revealed.
Trump Jr celebrating his marriage to Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson on a small island in the Bahamas, CNN reported.
Trump told reporters Donald Trump Jr. wanted his father to attend, but that it was going to be a “small private affair.”
Trump said then he would try to make the wedding but the timing was bad for him.
“I have a thing called Iran and other things,” Trump said.
“While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so,” Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social.
“I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time,” the post continued.
Trump snubs son’s wedding as he maintains focus on government business – including Iran war
Samantha Beech23 May 2026 04:44
What we know on the 85th day of the US-Israel war on Iran
- Donald Trump’s administration is preparing for a fresh round of military strikes against Iran, according to a new report. Military and intelligence officials have canceled their Memorial Day weekend plans in case of possible strikes, sources told CBS News.
- Peace talks between US and Iran remain fraught with Pakistani media describing the differences as “deep and significant”.
- Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday that indirect negotiations over a potential deal to end the war with Iran had seen “a little bit of movement, and that’s good.”
- Pakistan’s army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, arrived in Tehran on Friday. Qatar has also sent a team of mediators to Tehran as efforts intensified to mediate a peace agreement.
Stuti Mishra23 May 2026 04:27
