May 20 (UPI) — Professional tennis stars will reduce French Open media appearances as part of their fight for increased prize money at Grand Slams, a source told UPI on Wednesday.
Players set to participate in introductory news conferences for the clay-court Grand Slam plan to walk out after 15 minutes Friday at Roland Garros in Paris. That interval is representative of the same average allocation — 15% — that tennis’ four Grand Slams provide for prize money out of their total revenue.
Other players in the French Open draw plan to refuse interview requests with TNT Sports and Eurosport, the rights partners of the French Open.
“We regret the players’ decision, which impacts all of the tournament’s stakeholders: the media, broadcasters, the FFT and the entire tennis community, all of whom follow each edition of Roland-Garros with great enthusiasm,” a French Tennis Federation spokesperson told UPI.
“The FFT recognizes the importance of the players’ contribution to the tournament’s success, and wishes to maintain close ties with them. In early May, it proposed a meeting that will take place [May 22] with some of their representatives.
“The FFT is ready to engage in direct and constructive dialogue on governance issues, with a view to giving players a greater say in decision-making, contributing to players’ welfare and evolutions in the value-sharing model.”
The protests follow strong statements issued earlier this month by women’s and men’s world No. 1s Aryna Sabalenka and Jannik Sinner, and other top players, who threatened future tournament boycotts if they don’t receive a higher percentage of tournament revenue.
The players want their average allocation from the Grand Slams to rise to 22%, which is similar to their allotment from ATP and WTA joint tournaments.
Earlier this month, Sabalenka joined Sinner and other Top 20 players from the ATP and WTA in a statement, expressing “deep disappointment” in French Open revenue shares.
The same group of players co-signed a previous letter in 2025, requested an increased share of tournament revenues. Talks between a representative of the players and Grand Slam tournaments are expected to take place in the coming weeks.
The second Grand Slam of the tennis season will be held from Sunday through June 7 in Paris. Qualifying started Monday at Roland Garros. The draw will be held Thursday morning.
Tournament organizers announced last month that prize money for the clay-court major in 2026 would increase by 9.5% compared to last season’s tournament. The total prize pool will be about $72 million in 2026, an increase of more than $6 million.
But players pointed to a revenue share decrease from 14.9% from 15.5% projected between the 2026 and 2025 tournaments.
“When you see the number and you see the amount the players are receiving, I feel like the show is on us,” Sabalenka told reporters May 5 at the Italian Open. “I feel like without us, there wouldn’t be a tournament and there wouldn’t be that entertainment. So I feel like definitely we deserve to be paid more percentage.
“I just really hope, with all the negotiations we are having, at some point we are going to get to the right decision, to the conclusion that everyone will be happy with.”
