The son of the billionaire Mango founder, Isak Andic, who died in a fall from a cliff two years ago, has been arrested over the death of his father.
Jonathan Andic, 45, was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of homicide and appeared in handcuffs before the courthouse in Martorell, a city near Barcelona.
His 71-year-old father died after falling more than 100 metres while hiking with members of his family in the Montserrat caves near Barcelona in December 2024.
A spokesman for Mossos d’Esquadra, the Catalan regional police, said: “I can confirm the detention of Jonathan Andic on suspicion of the homicide of his father, Isak Andic.”
Jonathan Andic, 45, was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of homicide and appeared in handcuffs before the courthouse in Martorell, a city near Barcelona
Spanish media reported at the time that Andic fell down a ravine to his death while hiking in an area which is part of the Montserrat mountain range.
He was with Jonathan when the accident happened. A large-scale emergency operation was launched using helicopters and search and rescue teams, but Andic suffered multiple injuries and died at the scene.
On Tuesday, the Andic family issued a statement in which it said: “Jonathan Andic is appearing before the court in connection with the accident which occurred on 14 December 2024.
“At this moment, we cannot add more because a secrecy order has been placed over the case. Our collaboration has and will be total.”
Seen as a rival of Zara founder Amancio Ortega, Andic, a Turkish-born businessman, founded Mango with the help of his brother, Nahman, in Barcelona in 1984.
The chain now operates in almost 3,000 outlets in 120 countries. At the time of his death, he was non-executive chair of the fashion brand and worth $4.5bn, according to Forbes.
He raised the profile of the brand by inviting models including Kate Moss, Claudia Schiffer, Naomi Campbell and Kendall Jenner to his collections.
He counted among his close friends Queen Letizia of Spain, who delivered a homage to the businessman when he died.
Jonathan Andic has always denied any responsibility for his father’s death and said he suffered an accidental fall while they were hiking together at a popular tourist spot.
The original investigation into the death of the Mango founder was closed in January 2025 after a judge said there was no evidence of wrongdoing.

However, it was later reopened and police examined the mobile telephone of Jonathan Andic and his sisters Judith and Sarah Andic.
Last year, the Andic family said it was confident Jonathan was innocent after several local media reported he was being investigated.
The family said in a statement that it “will continue to cooperate, as has done until now, with the competent authorities. Furthermore, it trusts that this process will be concluded as soon as possible and that it will prove Jonathan Andic’s innocence.”
Jonathan Andic was appointed vice-president of the board of the privately held company on his father’s death and president of its holding company, MNG.
His sisters Judith and Sarah were named as vice presidents of MNG. Chief executive officer Toni Ruiz also became chair of the board after Andic’s death.
After Andic’s death, Ruiz said: “His departure leaves a huge void, but all of us are, in some way, his legacy, and the testimony of his achievements.
“It is up to us, and this is the best tribute we can make to Isak and which we will fulfil, to ensure that Mango continues to be the project that Isak aspired to and of which we would feel proud.”
